The best way to identify your marketable skills is by creating a compelling resume. Your resume should be no longer than one page, unless you have over 10 years of experience. Here are guidelines to follow when composing a resume...
1. Start with an objective. Know what you want and state it clearly. State what you want to do, for whom, where, and at what level of responsibility.
2. In addition to listing your job skills, describe the benefits and results of your performance so that you stand out from other candidates.
3. Develop a list of major accomplishments for each permanent job or staffing assignment. Place the most emphasis on recent achievements. Remember that most businesses value workers who save time and money.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What challenges or obstacles have you faced?
- How did you overcome them?
- How did your actions benefit your employer?
4. Sell yourself. A well-written resume can make a great first impression. List your strengths and several outstanding skills or abilities. Include education, training, and relevant awards.
5. Proofread your resume. After you have checked for mistakes or errors, ask someone else to proofread your resume to check for typos.